Geneticide

This book is very largely uneditted, and will never be published properly in any form. To encourage voting for my in the Shorty Awards, I'm posting a chapter a day. I hope you enjoy the story, the characters and the similarities to Heroes and X-Men (I am aware there are many - that was kind of the idea when comics were made the same, so it's the same thing here).

Thanks for reading!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chapter Thirteen - Murder

Emily's life was no longer hanging in the balance. But it was still no cause for celebration. It was, if anything, only a relief for Carl and Edel. They knew that nothing was certain for them anymore but the past; they took comfort in the idea that nothing could ever change it.

"So... you were the one that got of the cells?" Edel asked him. "The first person to ever get out." She looked at him with adoration. "Wow... How did you know... I mean... how did you get out?"

"My ability. Teleportation. That's what Emily called it. Which I guess is a pretty accurate description." He thought about it briefly. "Instantaneous transmission," he boasted.

Edel laughed along with him. "It's a lot more... peaceful than my ability. Whatever it actually is. Fission I think. You know, like in a nuclear reactor. Except... well I don't think it's radioactive. Lucky for you I guess," she joked. "When did you realise you had your ability?"

"I thought it was the cells... but I don't know. Did you ever think you had a life before then? That maybe everything was in a daze and you're not quite sure you did any of that stuff?"

"Not quite sure I know what you mean," she said to him.

He sighed, rubbing his hands over his weary eyes, trying to remember something. It was all fuzzy. He remembered everything up to six years before. Then it began to get hazy. He remembered a kind old face - not someone he knew before. But he couldn't recall a name. He rememebred a man too, older than Carl was. And a young boy. He remembered a van too, but that was the end. All he remembered then were the cells and getting out of them.

"It's like... I lived this whole other life. But I can't remember anything between six years ago and the cells. It's all a blur. Why that one gap in my life?"

"I don't know..." She knew she had made a mistake in asking the question, and that she couldn't just leave the room silent. "I was just taken in. No explanation. Just grabbed. When I was in a cell they asked me why I was there. When I couldn't answer they called me a mutant. I didn't know what they meant. They explained that people labelled mutants had abilities beyond normal human expectations. Then they asked me what I could do."

"You didn't know?"

She shook her head. "It wasn't until I accidentally burned the sleeves of those two brutes that went with the doctor that I found out about my ability. I broke out with it, melted the wall. There was another girl who got out too. I don't know who she was. But no one deserved to stay in that place. It wasn't right. It wasn't humane."

"You saved her life?" Edel nodded. "She owes you one." He took out his phone. "Sorry, you don't mind if I make a quick call, do you? It's Brock. He might still think that Emily is at the hospital.

"Fire away," she said to him.

He thanked her politley and dialled the number. Instantly the operator spoke.

"The person you have called cannot be reached. Please try again later." He ended the call and looked worryingly at Edel.

"I think something's wrong."

***

Lisa couldn't sleep. She could only focus on Will. He seemed to have no problem hiding secrets from her. But she knew he could hide nothing in his dreams. And she listened in to his unconsoius thoughts.

I shouldn't be doing this... but it's for his own good.

"I'm not a murderer..."

What?

"But I have to do it!"

What do you have to do? Tell me Will.

"I have to kill Naomi Ryan... I have to save the future... I have to save Lisa."

It's okay Will. We'll figure this out.

"Those manipulative..." she said to herself, thinking out loud. "We were both sent to find her. He has to kill the woman I was sent to save. Oh Will what have you got yourself into?"

***

The doctors avoided 01 at first. But he knew that rumours would reach him. The man had died. And now there was no more annoying doctor to watch over 01.

No one beats me... no one can beat me.

"Subject 01?" a woman called. He looked up to her - he hadn't heard the door going up. "I'll be your new doctor after... After your previous one left."

He stood up to full height. She was shorter than him, ever so slightly. She had a pretty face, if uncertain about some things. Like what she was doing in the same room as the man who had killed her predassor. "You're a pretty one, aren't you," he noted. He began circling her. The brutes weren't in the room. They too were afraid of 01. "What's your name?"

"Fi... Fiona Brady. Doctor Fiona Brady."

"What a beautiful name," he said to her. He ran a finger along her cheek. She gulped hard.

"What was it you did to him?"

"Not much. Merely... provided an upgrade."

"He's dead! How is that an upgrade?" she shouted.

"You'll see," he smirked, and grabbed her head like he had the other doctor's. His grip was too tight for her to break free. She struggled, but soon became blinded by the bloody tears that had formed in her eyes. She screamed at him - no words, only fear. And he relished in it. The fear. The pain. The suffering. And releasing the energy into her. Improving her.

She fell to the floor in a fit. "Cleanup on aisle one!" he shouted out the door.

***

Edel had found a nearby hospital. It was small, out of the way. No one would find Emily there. She told Carl about it so that he could help her. She hoped that his friend was alright. For his sake, and Emily's. But Edel could not dwell on the thought of a missing person. Her phone was already ringing.

"Ms Mooney. Alive and well thankfully." It was the wheezy voiced man. Edel couldn't understand him. But she knew he was calling for a reason. "I have a job for you."

"What's that?"

"When Ms Quigley is safe you must find Naomi Ryan. She can help Emily out of her coma. But her life is in danger. We have already sent help, but it may not be enough."

"Why not?"

"Would you trust a teenage girl to fight her boyfriend and the men that have been trying to kill you?" Edel didn't answer. There was no need to. "You have to hurry Ms Mooney. Naomi doesn't have long."

***

Brock was bound by rope. He pitied the perosn that thought it would keep him still. He focused on them, and on his flames. A small fire started from his fingertips. Quickly the ropes fell apart and Brock was free to move.

"Didn't think you were alone, did you?" a man asked. His voice was eerie, chilling. A moment later Brock felt his hand around his throat. When he made to fight back, Brock was thrown to the floor roughly. He hit his head, and blacked out. "No one gets out of here."

No comments:

Post a Comment